January 29 - March 5th, 2022
Applications are now open till January 22. Click here to apply!
About the OpenPrinciples Fellowship
- The OpenPrinciples Fellowship is a 6-week, 3 hours-per-week, hands-on experiential learning, knowledge-sharing, and relationship-building opportunity. It is centered around helping you build the habit of identifying, following, and iterating on your life principles (your values, biases, habits, methods, mental models, or, “ways of thinking”). Whether you are a student, a new grad or a professional who is looking to level up in your career or personal life, this fellowship is aimed at providing you mentoring, experiences and resources to build a principle-driven life.
- You will learn about the principle-driven process behind the success of Ray Dalio, Naval Ravikant, and Charlie Munger, and how you can pave your own way to success by using the similar methods as them. You will turn principles into habits while working and meeting weekly with small groups of people with similar interests. All sessions will be held in the evenings and virtually to accommodate your study or work schedule.
Who are the organizers — OpenPrinciples
- OpenPrinciples.org is a project supported by the Effective Altruism community. We are building a wiki-style community for sharing and collecting principles for our daily lives. It has been the team’s long term interest to collect, learn and iterate on life principles and to find best ways to apply them. We have benefited immensely through this habit and believe that thinking with principles is a habit that can be developed and want to give everyone the chance to do it.
- Our team is made of principle-oriented people who also want to help the world in an effective way. We have been cofounders of Effective Altruism UWaterloo and IBM Chapters, multiple YC-interviewed startups, and have experience organizing fellowships-like programs such as AI Safety Camp.
Why you should apply
- The principles-driven method of growth (find, conclude, act, and iterate your life principles) is one of the most effective ways for people to grow. It has been one of the most important growth factors for people like Benjamin Franklin, Ray Dalio, Charlie Munger and Confucius. This way of living is very systematic and has some simple guidelines we can follow.
- We all make decisions by principles - they are our values, biases, habits, methods, mental models, or, “ways of thinking”. When we do not pay attention to the principles we use, we tend to have a hard time distinguish their impact, and live our life following our old habits and grow slowly. The principles-driven way growth asks us to be mindful about the principles we use, be intentional about their effects, and be active in iterating and adopting better principles.
What is the curriculum
The 6-week Fellowship will include:
- Workshops to walk you through the process of and give you a lot of ways and tools to explore on the topic of finding, concluding, iterating, validating and acting on principles.
- Weekly 1 hour group conversations with a team of 4~6 members, matching based on interest and name of friends you like to group up with.
- At weekly conversations, you will share and discuss life principles you found and life principles you conclude based on your interest.
- Opportunities to meet and discuss with mentors who learn and apply principles using different school of thoughts
- Detailed Curriculum
How to apply
- Click here to apply
- January 22nd 11:59pm Pacific Time - application deadline
- Weekend of January 29nd - First session
- Weekend of March 5th - Last session
- We’re looking for people who are motivated to learn about principles and openminded about group discussion.
Ready to become an OP Principles Development fellow? Click here to apply!
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us at [email protected]
We look forward to reading your applications!
Frequently Asked Questions